You can’t make this stuff up. On Friday, David Brooks, who is using PBS as his launch vehicle for some amazingly ignorant comments, was in the midst of a diatribe downplaying the allegations of child sex abuse by French U.N. peacekeepers in Central African Republic last year when he uttered the dumbest thing just about any liberal has said in years.
And I have my disagreements, say, with President Obama, but President Obama has run an amazingly scandal-free administration, not only he himself, but the people around him. He’s chosen people who have been pretty scandal-free.
And so there are people in Washington who do set a standard of integrity, who do seem to attract people of quality. And I think that’s probably true of the current group. I hope it’s true of the current leadership group in Congress. But — so they’re not all involved in scandal.
MARK SHIELDS: David makes a good point. And I agree with him on this administration in particular.
Don’t believe this? There’s a video at this link. Wait 30 seconds for wild laughter and/or gagging to stop before reading on.
NO SCANDALS?! Maybe Mr. Brooks needs a refresher on the last six years. Where to begin? Let’s see, there’s:
- The Internal Revenue Service targeted conservative non-profit groups denying them non-profit status until AFTER the 2012 election.
- Benghazi. Just Benghazi. Right now, the fixation is on who gave the stand down order, and we still don’t know what Chris Stevens was doing in the desert that night.
- Former Secretary of State Hillary Clinton’s email server, emails, lack of emails, private accounts, yada yada yada. This one is nowhere close to resolved.
- The Obamacare rollout, website, and the elitist professor who coined the phrase “the stupidity of the American people.” That’s at least three scandals in one considering the shaking down that was going on behind the scenes.
- The Veterans Administration system being a complete mess.
- Fast and Furious, and the gunwalking that happened across the U.S.-Mexico border getting at least one border agent killed.
- Mass migration of young people from central and south America on the promise of a better life in the United States that does not mesh with existing laws.
- A losing record at the Supreme Court on any number of executive orders found to be unconstitutional.
- Using local law enforcement stories to encourage race riots and fanning the flames of a race war that is going to do no one any good.
- Michelle’s multi-million dollar vacations.
- Alienating all of our allies.
- Demonstrating weakness rather than strength giving power hungry thugs world-wide the chance to fill in the power void.
- Surrendering in Iraq.
- Dissing Benjamin Netanyahu.
There’s bound to be more, but the reader gets the point. David Brooks and Mark Shields live in their own little world if they think the Obama years have been scandal free. Nothing could be further from the truth.