Lucky 10-Year-Old Boy Donates Find of a Lifetime to Smithsonian

Boy stumbles upon an ancient arrowhead on a New Jersey beach

The ten-year-old boy who literally stumbled across a rare ancient artifact this past August has pleased many in the archaeological community by donating the artifact to the Smithsonian Institution.

Noah Cordle was boogie boarding on the Jersey shore over summer vacation when he felt a sharp object hit his foot. What the boy thought to be a crab turned out to be the most exciting discovery of his young life. The object was a 14,000 year old “arrowhead,” called a Clovis point. Archaeologists believe the points were used on the ends of spears as hunting tools and weapons since they were initially discovered between the rib bones of large, extinct mammals like mastodons, according to Smithsonianmag.com.

Clovis points are slender, finger-length spear points used by ancient inhabitants of North America and have been recovered from all over the continent, including as far south as Venezuela. They are chipped from fine, brittle stone like obsidian and jasper and have grooves called flutes to help them fit into spear shafts. More than 10,000 such points have been discovered to date.

The Cordle family took the find to the Smithsonian National Museum of Natural History on Monday, where Noah gifted it to the museum’s already immense collection. According to Dennis Stanford, an expert in Paleoindian archaeology at the Institute, this is the first point found in New Jersey. Smithsonian.com also adds that the people who find the points are usually people looking for them. To literally have one thrown at someone’s feet

“has never happened to anybody that I know of. You gotta be in the right place at the right time or it will disappear just like that. He was really lucky,”

says Stanford.

Comments

T.S. Walker
T.S. Walker is a freelance writer and a voracious reader, who enjoys simple things, laughter with loved ones, and wide open spaces.

14 Comments on "Lucky 10-Year-Old Boy Donates Find of a Lifetime to Smithsonian"

1. Joy Alyne Harbour | 11/13/2014 at 2:53 PM |

A lot , lot more money that 1000. You base your estimate on what ?

2. Joy Alyne Harbour | 11/13/2014 at 2:52 PM |

3. Randy Owens | 11/13/2014 at 11:43 AM |

But it’s a start.

4. Big Beefy D | 11/13/2014 at 10:38 AM |

About $1,000 if it were in absolutely pristine condition. Seriously, it’s not like it would have made the kid rich.

5. Big Beefy D | 11/13/2014 at 10:36 AM |

Wait, what?

6. Why give it to the Smithsonian–they would have to PAY me…otherwise, I’d keep it and pass it down to my kids.

7. Randy Owens | 11/08/2014 at 9:23 PM |

Great, serious kid. But that artifact would have been a tremendous step up for your college education and taken a great burden off your parents. And from my personal experience here in CA, they’ll most likely sell it to keep funding those College Regents making their three plus million dollar a year paychecks.

8. Joy Alyne Harbour | 11/08/2014 at 10:44 AM |

The Smithsonian took numerous skeletons from giants and stored them in there warehouse so no one could research them …. The Smithsonian has there own agenda for artifacts ….

9. Randall Sisk | 11/08/2014 at 2:53 AM |

Not too sure the kid did bad. I was offered $100 for a iron based meteor in the 1970s by one of my teachers. I decided to keep it as a show piece, bragging how it must be worth more. Someone else thought so too … just disappeared. At least if I donated it, I would know where it was!

10. One thing I hate about this stupid ass DISQUS is that you forget, come in and post, then remember to sign in and it knocks what you wrote off, rather than retaining it until your logging process is complete.But anyway, be an indian giver kid and ask for the damn thing back.

11. Aaron Gibbs | 11/07/2014 at 11:07 PM |

I wouldve used it to pick gunk out from under my toe nails.

12. FloridaPhil | 11/07/2014 at 5:09 PM |

Exactly, Kevin.

“the museum’s already immense collection”

I’d have kept it.

13. Don Briscoe | 11/07/2014 at 5:08 PM |

Should have sold it for his college fund.

14. Kevin Watson | 11/07/2014 at 11:39 AM |

That was dumb. They’ll throw in a tub and roll in down into the basement with the other 200,000 of them they hoard and they will then disappear forever.
    At least the kid could have had something cool to show his kids… now all he’ll be able to say is “I was a dumbass”