Fox Reporter Suspended After Insensitive Comments About Eric Garner’s Death

3333341

Outrage ensued after a Fox reporter allegedly wrote an insensitive comment regarding the choke hold death of Eric Gardner. Erika Reidt is a freelance reporter for Fox Deportes. According to BuzzFeed News, Reidt commented on an Instagram picture of Kobe Bryant wearing a shirt with the words “I Can’t Breathe” written on the front. ” I can’t breathe” are the last words Eric Garner said after being put in a choke hold that ultimately claimed his life. The phrase has become popular among those protesting police brutality. Reidt apparently was not a fan of the phrase, and she expressed that by writing,

“I’m gonna start wearing a shirt that says ‘I can breathe because I obey the law,’”

Screen_Shot_2014_12_10_at_8_37_52_AM

Screen_Shot_2014_12_10_at_8_38_15_AM
Needless to say, backlash occurred immediately. People were enraged by what she said. Her Twitter and Instagram accounts were flooded with angry comments. One person tweeted, “Hey @FOXDeportes, curious if you were aware your correspondent @ErikaReidt uses social media to victim blame.” Another user said on Instagram “What a stupid comment, I hope you lose your job.”

The Fox reporter went straight into damage control mode saying, “I want to clarify in regards to the comment about Eric Garner, my account was hacked & apparently that comment was posted without my consent.”
The public wasn’t falling for the ” I’ve been hacked ” excuse, citing that after the initial comment was posted, she thanked someone for defending it. A comment that she claimed was posted by a hacker.
Even though it was clear that no one was buying what she was selling, she attempted to empathize with the disgruntled mob. She claimed that she understood racism and how they felt because she grew up “in the hood”. She wrote, “I was raised in the hood and know the struggles our minority communities go through. I pray we become the system and abolish all racism.”
Sharing her childhood ghetto memories didn’t do the trick because shortly after that, Fox Deportes announced that they had suspended Reidt pending an investigation into her comments.
The news channel tweeted,“FOX Deportes is investigating the comments made by freelancer Erika Reidt and has suspended her until further notice.”
It seems nowadays if you want to keep your job, you should stay away from posting your opinion about sensitive issues on social media. Well, unless you are a political blogger of course. Maybe my boss will give her a job; it looks like she might be needing one soon.

Comments

Lindsey Bruce
I am best described as a Constitutional conservative. I strongly believe in constitutionally limited government, individual freedom, and personal responsibility. I can no longer stand on the sidelines and watch my country lose a game that we were built to master. I am speaking up! Please visit my blog and speak up with me! https://www.facebook.com/politicallindsey?ref=hl

20 Comments on "Fox Reporter Suspended After Insensitive Comments About Eric Garner’s Death"

1. what the freaking hell, at what point in time will goddamn Liberals hand us a script of what we can say and what we can’t each day that we go into the world????? Go to hell Liberals, sorry bastards!!!

2. Adolph Schumer | 12/15/2014 at 8:32 PM |

Obey the law!!!! Don’t be a repeat criminal like Martin Luther King! If you’re told to get to the back of the bus then obey the law! If you’re told the bathroom is “whites only” then you better obey the law. Worship the law as god!!!!

3. Jo Anne Davis Dixon | 12/15/2014 at 8:19 PM |

I would wear the shirt! Why can some say whatever and others can’t?

4. Prospector | 12/15/2014 at 7:48 PM |

I bet if it had been some dirt bag left wing reporter from msnbc talking about a white person you would have been fine with that comment.

5. Who in the heck is Fox Deporte?

6. or suspension.

7. baloney

8. She should stand on what she wrote and Americans will stand with her, I am personally getting sick of Fox that built on a false claim as a conservative network when for the most part they are left of center most of the time. Suspending this lady is a very grave violation of her 1st amendment rights. This article is very biased also stating all the unproven and liberal garbage being put out blaming all on a so called choke hold that is actually a take down hold. This over weight person was a walking basket case just waiting to croak.

9. We do not employ Judge Dredd on the police force. Selling “untaxed single cigarettes” is not punishable by death. So, yes, she is wrong. Very, very, wrong.

10. Skydog1 | 12/15/2014 at 4:10 PM |

Most of them do and it’s a left wing agenda. When someone marches out of step, they’re immediately targeted for removal.

11. bowhunter1 | 12/15/2014 at 3:20 PM |

Why is it that these sports morons can protest by wearing these shirts and other items and that is ok, but someone make a true statement and they are beat up over it. These sports figures are idiot’s! They ignore the fact that if these “victim’s” would of obeyed they law they would of never been in the positin to lose their life.

12. Frank Naughton | 12/15/2014 at 2:43 PM |

Marvin that’s crap! The Sergeant that supervised the take down of Eric Gardner was a black female. THAT is the “american justice system” – a black woman that made a personal choice to enforce the law instead of breaking it. There’s absolutely no different penalty for breaking a specific law based on your skin color, however sentences DO get tougher when you KEEP breaking the law (EG had over 30 warnings/charges/run-in’s with the law) The police weren’t ‘picking on’ Gardner because he was black they were practically forced to confront him because he KEPT breaking the law.

“Everyone does what they feel they need to do to survive” <== This is the core of the problem right here. This is what seems to cause the vast majority of trouble with the police. A mindset full of excuses and rationalizations "I'm a victim, I don't need to abide by society's rules, I'll never have a chance cuz the 'Man' is keeping me down so F*** it!", etc…etc… You're right nobody is perfect, every race does commit crime but at the end of the day each of us (black, white, whatever) has to make a choice: either we're going to be productive members of civilized society even with it's imperfect laws OR we're going to accept the consequences that come with lawlessness and a perpetual attitude of "I'm a victim so I don't have to play by the rules"

P.S. For the record I bounced around orphanages and foster homes, made PLENTY of mistakes and had my own run-in's with the police. I also worked jobs since I was 12, clawed my way thru an Associate's, Bachelor's and finally Master's degree, have a smart, beautiful daughter and recently finished 20 years of service in the Air Force. I know, I know, "who gives a damn", right? The point is I don't wanna hear I can't "understand" the societal plight of supposed victim group x, y or z because of my special male, white and/or straight "privilege"

13. JCDArizona | 12/15/2014 at 1:41 PM |

So now making clear and honest statements that are 100% factual are grounds for suspension? I can’t breathe from all the PC idiots sucking up the oxygen as they celebrate thugs and criminals.

14. Randall Alexander | 12/15/2014 at 1:33 PM |

She’s bilingual, Mexican American. Her maiden name is Garza.

15. Or*

16. The sad thing here is that white people will never know the black experience in the american justice system. Your “back home in no time” comment is a perfect example. When you’re black, there is no “in no time.” There’s a bond that’s out of your financial range, it there’s a few years probation… It gets as extreme as police planting drugs on us, anything to get another black man lost in the system. Y’all will never understand that. The other thing tall will never understand is nobody’s perfect. Everyone does what the feel they need to do to survive. Every race committs crime. So can we please kill the whole “he shouldn’t have been committing a misdemeanor” argument as justification for murdering black people?

17. Elaine Blazosek | 12/15/2014 at 10:48 AM |

if celebreties and sports stars can have an agenda, then why not news anaylists??

18. Cyndi Brown Murphy | 12/15/2014 at 8:55 AM |

She should have stood firm on that comment and not backed down. It’s the freakin truth! STOP RESISTING! If you’re innocent and act like a decent human being, your innocence can be proven. If you’re guilty, cooperate and just pay for your mistakes. It’ll go much easier for you, and in both cases, you would be out and back home in no time, instead of pushing up daisies alongside the earthworms.

19. DaveHolden | 12/15/2014 at 8:40 AM |

When she retreated and pandered she was.

20. Brian P | 12/15/2014 at 7:06 AM |

But she wasn’t wrong was she?